Saturday, May 1, 2010

KENTUCKY DERBY MINT JULEP


Happy Derby Day!
The key to a good Mint Julep is good bourbon and fresh mint. I am in on the mint...bourbon???? Frankly for me, if I need to sip a fancy beverage while wearing a big ol' hat...I'll put a cocktail umbrella in my Kendall Jackson...but for you diehard Mint Julep Derby fans here is the recipe.
First you need to make a simple syrup. So in a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and add about 10 mint leaves. Let that simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
In a glass add 1 tbl simple syrup and about 10 mint leaves. Crush the mint in the glass (picture the mojito bartender) then add a bunch of good bourbon and lots of crushed ice....garnish with a nice fresh mint leaf and SIP! I'm the one in the corner with the wine.
Have fun watching the race!!!!
ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts